All Content Copyright emyvale.net
Local Tours:
St Mary's Chapel at Glennan was one of the stops on a tour of villages of North Monaghan on Monday, May 13th, put together by Michael Fisher from Tydavnet. It was carried out as part of an exercise in tour guiding being undertaken by Michael and fourteen others in Monaghan town. Some of them are leaders on the walking tours of Monaghan that are held every Saturday morning. The course is sponsored by LEADER and run by the CMETB with Dr Lorraine O'Reilly as tutor. The tour guide students hope that by the end of next month they will have qualified as regional tour guides, taking in Monaghan and the surrounding counties of Cavan, Louth and Meath, as well as Armagh, Tyrone and Fermanagh. GLENNAN: For his section of the tour, Michael Fisher concentrated on the story of the 19th C author William Carleton (1794-1869). He pointed out the author's connection with a 'hedge school' which he attended from 1814-16. It used to be situated in Patrick Traynor's house, which was demolished in the 1970s to make way for a grotto. A plaque unveiled in 1997 now marks the spot, erected by Emyvale Development Association with the support of Monaghan County Council. Carleton walked the five miles from his relatives the McCarrons at Derrygola and used to rest at the Blue Bridge over the Mountain Water at Inishdevlin, where there is another plaque erected by Emyvale Development Association. Carleton was born at Prillisk near Clogher and his family (he was the youngest of fourteen children of a peasant farmer) moved to Springtown near Augher where a thatched cottage still stands. He is best known for his 'Traits and Stories of the Irish Peasantry.' One of his stories published in the Illustrated London News was 'The Fair of Emyvale' describing the goings on at the regular fair day held in the main street, including the faction fighting between orange and green sections in the local community. Carleton was reared as a Catholic but converted to Protestantism and died 150 years ago at Ranelagh in Dublin. He is buried at Mount Jerome cemetery where a wreath laying ceremony was held in February by Michael Fisher and the President of the William Carleton Society, Jack Johnston. Jack attended the Glennan event as a guest. He knew a number of the participants in the tour guiding course, having lectured them on a local history course at Maynooth University. Following a short talk the group moved on to St Mary's Chapel where Fr Hubert Martin PP gave them a talk about some of the fittings, including the marble altar and ambo that were removed from St Macartan's Cathedral in Monaghan when it was being modernised to suit the recommendations of Vatican II. At the start of the tour, Enda Galligan met the group in Glaslough village and talked about its history including the connection with the Leslie family. The third part of the tour was led by Mary Flynn from Emyvale. The coach stopped at Emy Lough where dozens of walkers and runners were on the loop walk enjoying the evening sunshine. From there the group was taken on a brief walking tour of Emyvale village before proceeding to Tydavnet. As the sun set over Bragan, Francis McCarron narrated a few ghostly tales at the old graveyard. The area has been inhabited since the bronze age as evidenced by the fabulous Tydavnet Gold Discs, now in the National Museum of Ireland. The graveyard has been a place of burial for millenia and is home to a fine collection of 17th and 18th century mortality headstones. The group enjoyed refreshments at Tydavnet Community Centre before returning to Monaghan after what all agreed had been a fascinating and well organised tour, that could be repeated for any large groups coming to visit the area such as the Treinfhirs last weekend. In the late 90’s Emyvale Development Association established a Heritage Tour of North Monaghan which covered, in particular, McKenna Country, The William Carleton connection and the Prince Edward Island connection but also including Emyvale Village, Glaslough village and Castle leslie, Donagh Old Graveyard, Emy Lake and Mullan Village and other historical locations. Seamus McCluskey was recorded giving the history of the various locations and this was produced on tape accompanied by a Map and was available to purchase. However tape players in cars became obsolete and the tour was transferred to CD, but now there are few cars with CD players. The EDA intends to reproduce an updated version, some of which will be put on CD but it will also be included online. That is a work in progress at the moment. However over the years since then Seamus took literally hundreds of visitors on the tour and a number of tours were organised for local people and Morans Transport provided a Vintage Bus for these. In 2018 I found myself trying to fill Seamus’s shoes, which is impossible, but I took 98 visitors in total on the tour and already in 2019 the numbers are rising. Regarding Carleton’s ‘Fair of Emyvale’ - it was from that book that EDA got the idea in 1979 to organise ‘The Fair of Emyvale’ and ‘The Peoples’ Sports’ festival. The purpose was to raise funding for the building of a Leisure Centre. However when work began on the Centre in 1981 time was limited and the organising of the Festival was very time consuming as well as the fact that Insurance costs spiralled beyond what was considered as reasonable and the festival was abandoned. The huge traffic congestion and dangers on Main Street made it more difficult to organise the Festival which also caused the festival to fall through.
All Content Copyright emyvale.net
Local Tours:
St Mary's Chapel at Glennan was one of the stops on a tour of villages of North Monaghan on Monday, May 13th, put together by Michael Fisher from Tydavnet. It was carried out as part of an exercise in tour guiding being undertaken by Michael and fourteen others in Monaghan town. Some of them are leaders on the walking tours of Monaghan that are held every Saturday morning. The course is sponsored by LEADER and run by the CMETB with Dr Lorraine O'Reilly as tutor. The tour guide students hope that by the end of next month they will have qualified as regional tour guides, taking in Monaghan and the surrounding counties of Cavan, Louth and Meath, as well as Armagh, Tyrone and Fermanagh. GLENNAN: For his section of the tour, Michael Fisher concentrated on the story of the 19th C author William Carleton (1794-1869). He pointed out the author's connection with a 'hedge school' which he attended from 1814-16. It used to be situated in Patrick Traynor's house, which was demolished in the 1970s to make way for a grotto. A plaque unveiled in 1997 now marks the spot, erected by Emyvale Development Association with the support of Monaghan County Council. Carleton walked the five miles from his relatives the McCarrons at Derrygola and used to rest at the Blue Bridge over the Mountain Water at Inishdevlin, where there is another plaque erected by Emyvale Development Association. Carleton was born at Prillisk near Clogher and his family (he was the youngest of fourteen children of a peasant farmer) moved to Springtown near Augher where a thatched cottage still stands. He is best known for his 'Traits and Stories of the Irish Peasantry.' One of his stories published in the Illustrated London News was 'The Fair of Emyvale' describing the goings on at the regular fair day held in the main street, including the faction fighting between orange and green sections in the local community. Carleton was reared as a Catholic but converted to Protestantism and died 150 years ago at Ranelagh in Dublin. He is buried at Mount Jerome cemetery where a wreath laying ceremony was held in February by Michael Fisher and the President of the William Carleton Society, Jack Johnston. Jack attended the Glennan event as a guest. He knew a number of the participants in the tour guiding course, having lectured them on a local history course at Maynooth University. Following a short talk the group moved on to St Mary's Chapel where Fr Hubert Martin PP gave them a talk about some of the fittings, including the marble altar and ambo that were removed from St Macartan's Cathedral in Monaghan when it was being modernised to suit the recommendations of Vatican II. At the start of the tour, Enda Galligan met the group in Glaslough village and talked about its history including the connection with the Leslie family. The third part of the tour was led by Mary Flynn from Emyvale. The coach stopped at Emy Lough where dozens of walkers and runners were on the loop walk enjoying the evening sunshine. From there the group was taken on a brief walking tour of Emyvale village before proceeding to Tydavnet. As the sun set over Bragan, Francis McCarron narrated a few ghostly tales at the old graveyard. The area has been inhabited since the bronze age as evidenced by the fabulous Tydavnet Gold Discs, now in the National Museum of Ireland. The graveyard has been a place of burial for millenia and is home to a fine collection of 17th and 18th century mortality headstones. The group enjoyed refreshments at Tydavnet Community Centre before returning to Monaghan after what all agreed had been a fascinating and well organised tour, that could be repeated for any large groups coming to visit the area such as the Treinfhirs last weekend. In the late 90’s Emyvale Development Association established a Heritage Tour of North Monaghan which covered, in particular, McKenna Country, The William Carleton connection and the Prince Edward Island connection but also including Emyvale Village, Glaslough village and Castle leslie, Donagh Old Graveyard, Emy Lake and Mullan Village and other historical locations. Seamus McCluskey was recorded giving the history of the various locations and this was produced on tape accompanied by a Map and was available to purchase. However tape players in cars became obsolete and the tour was transferred to CD, but now there are few cars with CD players. The EDA intends to reproduce an updated version, some of which will be put on CD but it will also be included online. That is a work in progress at the moment. However over the years since then Seamus took literally hundreds of visitors on the tour and a number of tours were organised for local people and Morans Transport provided a Vintage Bus for these. In 2018 I found myself trying to fill Seamus’s shoes, which is impossible, but I took 98 visitors in total on the tour and already in 2019 the numbers are rising. Regarding Carleton’s ‘Fair of Emyvale’ - it was from that book that EDA got the idea in 1979 to organise ‘The Fair of Emyvale’ and ‘The Peoples’ Sports’ festival. The purpose was to raise funding for the building of a Leisure Centre. However when work began on the Centre in 1981 time was limited and the organising of the Festival was very time consuming as well as the fact that Insurance costs spiralled beyond what was considered as reasonable and the festival was abandoned. The huge traffic congestion and dangers on Main Street made it more difficult to organise the Festival which also caused the festival to fall through.
Navigation Menu Navigation Menu